Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Clean Coder

Yesterday I finished reading The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers by Robert C. Martin. Most of us in the industry know him as Uncle Bob and read at least one book from him.
In this book Uncle Bob explains what it means to be a professional programmer. He shares his personal experience and since he has been programming for 40 years he has a very strong opinion about professionalism.
He makes very good points and the book itself is easy to read. Having read Clean Code before I was expecting code snippets but the book turned out to be more about our attitude towards programming. It was hard to put it down so I ended up reading it on the train each morning and afternoon.
This book came for me just about the right time. As a junior developer I would have never understood its importance. Having been in the software industry for 9 years I can now assess what I did right and what I could have done better. It's a good milestone where I can stop and say: I came a long way, I am on the right track but I know how far I still can go if I want to consider myself a software professional. And I am desperate to go down that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment